As we travel Australia, I get asked by parents all the time for replacements for breakfast cereals. Try these Banana Smoothie Pancakes For Breakfast, they are a fantastic alternative to cereal. They are naturally sweetened by the banana and full of good fats and proteins, so more filling than plain pancakes. You can also use this recipe to make pikelets and or a super delicious smoothie.
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 large avocado (or whole small one)
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts (eg. brazil, walnuts, almonds, cashews)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup of milk of your choice (for this, I used Pure Harvest Coco Quench – combo of Coconut and Rice milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1 overflowing cup self raising flour (I used Orgran Gluten Free)
- 1 cup LSA (linseed, sunflower seed and almonds)
- 1 cup Water
- Coconut oil to cook pancakes
- Add 1 banana, the avocado, nuts, cinnamon, milk and eggs to a blender, blend
- Add the flours and blend again
- Add water and blend until smooth
- Mash the second banana, and stir it through the mixture – this will give it a lumpy texture and also a some nice squishy banana bits when cooked. If you think your family would prefer no banana chunks in their pancakes, omit this step and include both bananas in step 1
- Warm a pan over high heat, add a little coconut oil to the pan (I use a coconut oil spray for this)
- Turn the eat to low. Using a soup ladel or 1/3 measuring cup, pour patter into your pan, then gently lift it a little to swirl the mixture in the pan into a pancake shape
- When little bubbles just start to form, use an egg slide to gently lift the pancake a little to check if it’s cooked. If so, gently push the slide all the way under and flip
- Cook on the other side
Notes – these are softer / squishier than normal pancakes and because they are naturally sweetened by the banana, they brown more quickly, so take care at step 7.
- Top with a good dollop of Natural Greek Yoghurt and some fresh seasonal fruit
- Gently spread some ‘real’ butter, and roll up. Simple but delicious.
Make This Nut Free
Replace the mixed nuts with Sunflower Seeds, replace LSA with extra self raising flour.
Make This A Smoothie
Follow Step 1 of this recipe but increase the milk to 2 cups. You can also add in 1 egg for an extra protein boost. Add some ice and blend. The ice will make it colder and thicker.
Just a reminder, you don’t need to be a master chef, or have a big spotless kitchen to make awesome nutritious meals or snacks for your family.